Back to blog home

Travelling in the UK this summer…what insurance do you need?

Travelling in the UK this summer…what insurance do you need?

Considering A Staycation? What About Travel Insurance?

With money tight for many families, more and more people are choosing a ‘staycation’ and are holidaying in the UK this year.

But what insurance do you need for your Bognor break? Do you need specific cover if you’re heading to sunny Southend? What should you check before you set off to the shores of Skegness?

Most people would assume they don’t need any cover if they’re ‘staycationing’ in the UK, but if the worst were to happen, they could find themselves just as stuck as if they had gone abroad.


Delays and cancellations

If you’ve booked trains, planes or hotels then travel insurance should cover you if you were to suffer unexpected delays or cancellations. However, most single trip policies only protect you from the start date, so if were to fall ill before this date and needed to cancel your trip, you might not be covered. Check your policy documents carefully.



Some home insurance policies will cover your belongings when they’re taken away from your home, but most have conditions or limitations, so you should always check this before you set off.

What about your passport? If you’re getting on a domestic flight you will need your passport to travel, but if your passport was stolen or lost while you’re away, it’s unlikely that this would be covered. Make sure you have a policy that covers your passport replacement, and additional transport and accommodation expenses, if it is lost or stolen


Illness or injury

If you’re travelling in the UK and anything happens to you, you’ll of course be covered by the NHS, unlike if you travel abroad. However, the NHS will treat you in the nearest hospital to where you’re holidaying, not to where you live. Check your policy, because some insurers will cover you to be transferred nearer to home.


Watch out if…

you’re only going for a short-break.
Most insurers will only cover your trip in the UK if the accommodation is pre-booked, and if the stay is for more than 2 or 3 consecutive nights.

you’re staying with family.
Many insurers will specify that cover is only available if your stay in a commercial establishment, like a hotel or b&b.

you’re camping.
Wet weather might not be the only things to contend with, so check whether your insurance covers you under canvas.

you go away regularly.
Check pricing to see if annual insurance is better for you than single trip, you might be able to save even more money.

you’re not going far.
Most insurers will impose distance limitations of around 50 miles from home, so read your policy document carefully.


Policy Expert 

Our customers are at the heart of everything we do, so we have a team of experts with a real passion for making sure people get the cover that’s right for them.  For a quote from just £4.03 for a single trip, speak to an expert today on 0330 0600 603 or visit for more ways to reach us.


Published 11 July 2013