Clued up on your car insurance? Make sure you know this change in the law


There are some new rules surrounding car insurance which you should be aware of as a vehicle owner. So, to avoid a warning letter dropping through your letter box, read on…

More restrictive laws have come into effect this week to help crack down on motorists who fail to buy insurance.

Until now, it has only been an offence to actively drive an uninsured vehicle, but now vehicle owners will be prohibited from ‘keeping’ an uninsured vehicle.

This means that if you have a vehicle permanently parked on your driveway or in your garage that you never drive – it will still need some insurance in place.

If you don’t want to pay for a policy, you’ll now need to officially declare that your car is off the road.

The new law may sound tough, but it simply requires a bit of common sense and some sound, up-to-date paperwork.

If you do not use the vehicle (e.g. an old car that you’re yet to dispose of) you’ll need to declare it as off the road. If you don’t do this, the vehicle will need to be insured.

To apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) you will need to contact the DVLA.

If you do receive a warning letter about an uninsured vehicle, it’s best to deal with this immediately. Should you fail to insure your vehicle or apply for a SORN, you could be faced with a £100 fine and further court action.

This new move hopes to cut down the number of motorists dodging insurance. It will be welcomed by insurers who claim that uninsured driving forces premium-paying motorists to pay more for their cover.

You can check that your vehicle is registered as insured using this free service at

Receive £25

When you refer a friend to our home or car insurance

Refer now