All change! What do I need to tell my insurer?

All change! What do I need to tell my insurer?

It’s a fact of life that change happens. But, did you know that there are some changes that you need to tell your home insurance provider to make sure you’re still covered? If not, don’t worry. We’ve gathered some key ones below. Remember to always check your policy documents for more specifics and, if you’re unsure, give us a ring and we’ll be happy to help.

Life changes

It’s important you let us know if your address changes, but that’s not the only life change we need to know about. For example, we also need to know if your property is no longer your main home or if your occupation changes. We also need to know if you or your family plan to use your home for anything other than living and doing business administration in. However, you do not need to notify us if you are now working from home more because of COVID.

If you or your family plan to let, or sublet your home, or if you no longer live in it, it’s really important you let us know. Remember, if we don’t have the most up to date details, we may not be able to cover you if something goes wrong. If you have opened your home to refugees of the ongoing crisis in Ukraine, we have introduced temporary special measures. You can read them here.

Home changes

Customers often forget to tell us if they have acquired a new, high value object – such as a piece of jewellery or furniture – that has a value of more than £2000. If you don’t tell us about these objects, they aren’t covered if something happens to them.

Another change that people often forget to tell us about is building work. You must tell us at least 30 days before building work, conversions, renovations, demolition or extensions happen at your home. It’s especially important that you tell us if it will change the number of bedrooms or bathrooms that you have. However, you won’t need to tell us if the work is only redecoration, maintenance or to replace existing kitchen or bathroom fittings that won’t affect your walls, ceilings or floors.

If things have changed and your home will be left unoccupied or unfurnished for more than 30 days in a row, you’ll need to tell us. This is important because burglaries and break-ins are more likely to happen in empty properties.

Changes to your situation

Finally, it’s important you tell us if there are any changes in your situation, or anyone else’s that you live with. For example, if you or your family have been declared bankrupt (known as sequestration in Scottish law) or if there have been any bankruptcy proceedings against you or your family in a county court or similar, you will need to tell us. Likewise, you must let us know if you or anyone in your family have been convicted of any offence other than a driving offence.

Remember, this isn’t a complete list – you should always check your Policy Wording document and you can contact us if you aren’t sure on whether a change in your life or circumstances will have an affect on your policy.